Text for Page 4

              Part I.—1776. 3
bers, assembled at the Exchange, in Charles-Town ; this body unanimously
approved the action of the Philadelphia Congress, and adopted resolutions
recommending the people to prepare for armed resistance. The news of
the Battles of Lexington and Bunker Hill added impetus to these preparations for war, and at its next meeting the Congress resolved to raise
three regiments, two of infantry and one of mounted rangers.
On the 14th of June, 1775, the Congress elected a Council of Safety,
invested with supreme power over the army, the militia, and all military
affairs, of which William Henry Drayton was chosen President, and Peter
Timothy, Secretary.    Drayton was succeeded by Henry Laurens.
On the 17th of June the Council commissioned for the regiments above
alluded to, the following officers :
First Regiment.—Field Officers: Christopher Gadsden, Colonel; Isaac
Huger, Lieutenant-Colonel; Owen Roberts, Major.
Second Regiment.—Field Officers: William Moultrie, Colonel; Isaac
Motte, Lieutenant-Colonel; Alexander Mcintosh, Major.
Captains of the two Regiments: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Barnard
Elliott, Francis Marion, William Cattell, Peter Horry, Daniel Horry,
Adam McDonald, Thomas Lynch, William Scot, John Barnwell, Nicholas
Eveleigh, James McDonald, Isaac Harleston, Thomas Pinckney, Francis
Huger, William Mason, Edmund Hyrne, Roger Parker Saunders, Charles
Motte, Benjamin Cattell.
Regiment of Rangers.—Field Officers : William Thomson, Lieutenant-
Colonel ; James Mayson, Major.
Captains: Samuel Wise, Eli Kershaw, Edward Richardson, Ezekicl
Polk, Robert Goodwin, Thomas Woodward, John Caldwell, Moses Kirk-
land, John Purvis.
These regiments were at once organized, and commenced preparations for service. They wore a blue
uniform, and on the caps of the first regiment shone
a silver crescent, with the words " Ultima ratio ;" on
those of the second, a similar crescent, with the word
Crescent worn on the Hats of the
"Liberty," engraved on it. soldiers of 1st Regt. infantry.
The arms stored in the magazines and other military depots were very
soon taken possession of by the Provincial authorities, and placed in the
hands of the troops. Powder, however, was much needed, and information having been received that certain British vessels having a quantity of
that article on board were near the coast, a sloop was fitted out in Charles-
Town for the purpose of effecting a capture, and entrusted to the command
of Captain Lernpriere. Cruising off St. Augustine, he captured one of the
vessels, and, notwithstanding a hot pursuit by a greatly superior force,
succeeded in landing his prize safely at Beaufort.               
  •  
Loading content ...
Hide

Fort Moultrie centennial; being an illustrated account of the doings at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's island, Charleston (S. C.) harbor

29 total pages