Samuel Lander taught at Catawba College and Randolph-Macon College between 1853 and 1855. In 1859, at age 26, he became President of the High Point Normal School in High Point, North Carolina. Lander became a Methodist minister in 1866. Among his Methodist appointments were The Lincolnton Seminary, Lincolnton Station, and the Presidency of Davenport College in Lenoir, North Carolina. In 1872, Lander converted a vacant hotel into the Williamston Female College. In 1903 Williamston Female College moved to the town of Greenwood, South Carolina and was renamed Lander College in honor of its founder. This collection contains Samuel Lander's correspondence, two sermons, two orations delivered before the Calhoun Literary Society, his diaries, a manuscript of Williamston Female College's class song, photographs, and contemporary correspondence between Lander family members and the university.